This page provides the information you need to start a new website at Kalamazoo College, to get started as Site Content Editor (SCE) at Kalamazoo College, and how to log into your website.
Requesting a New Website or Blog
If you are looking to start a new website for a department at the College or if you are a Kalamazoo College employee looking to create a blog hosted at blogs.kzoo.edu, contact WebServices@kzoo.edu to request your space today!
Web Services will work with you on your layouts and content strategy. When you are ready to launch, we will conduct tests for quality assurance, brand compliance, and ADA compliance tests during a “soft launch” phase. Hard launch happens when we add it to the search indexes and link to it from global navigation and sitemaps.
The timeline depends on the size of your site and the time you put into building it out. Typically, we have found this takes one to three months.
Adding an Editor to Your Website
To add an editor to your website please contact WebServices@kzoo.edu with the following information:
- The new editor’s name
- Whether they are a student, faculty, or staff member of the College
- A description of the tasks you would like them to carry out on the website
Note: Whether they be a student, faculty, or staff member of the College, if you are looking to add an editor to your website they must follow the new editor onboarding process to ensure ADA compliance among other usability and quality assurance standards.
New Editor Onboarding Process
- Review the Kalamazoo College web policies
- Sign the agreement form
- Complete the Site Content Editor (SCE) and Manager Responsibility section of the WordPress Editor Training on Moodle and score at least a 9/10 on the quiz.
- Request your WordPress 101 training by emailing WebServices@kzoo.edu.
- Note: All SCEs must complete a 45 minute – 1 hour WordPress 101 training with Web Services before gaining access to your new website. Additionally, if you are anticipating using features like electronic forms, handbooks, tables, etc. this will require multiple trainings.
- For new sites, wait for word from Web Services that it has been set up.
- Edit or build your website! See the login help section to get access to your website.
Resources for Editing
Resources available to you while editing or building a website include:
- This WordPress Help website
- The WordPress SCEs Team (Web Services will add you to this Team after training has been completed)
- WP Gutenberg Block Editor Microsoft Stream Channel
- The Web Services team – we will answer your questions and guide you creatively!
Where do I log in?
For kzoo.edu: https://www.kzoo.edu/wp-login.php
For blogs.kzoo.edu: https://blogs.kzoo.edu/wp-login.php
For department sites: https://yoursubdomain.kzoo.edu/wp-admin (i.e your URL followed by /wp-admin)
What’s my password?
Your WordPress account is linked to your K account, so the password is the same as your email password.
If you have trouble logging into your website please contact WebServices@kzoo.edu.
Live sites can be edited from home or anywhere you have access to the web. If your site is new and has not been launched yet, see Information on continuing a build remotely page for more details on how to access your WordPress editor off campus.
Department Websites – Gutenberg Block Editor
The Gutenberg Block Editor is the new content editor in WordPress. It is currently installed on the departmental WordPress sites (departmentname.kzoo.edu). www.kzoo.edu and blogs.kzoo.edu will get Gutenberg sometime in 2020.
Gutenberg is a block-based editor, meaning it replaces the single edit field of the classic WordPress editor (as seen with the www.kzoo.edu site and blogs.kzoo.edu) with lots of individual “blocks.”
These blocks then allow you to build more complex designs than those allowed in the classic WordPress editor.
Resources on Editing a Page
Feel free to watch this video on Creating and Editing Pages using the WordPress Gutenberg block editor. You can also see this introduction the Gutenberg interface on Go Gutenberg for further information on editing your pages and posts in the Gutenberg Block Editor.
K Main Website and Blogs Editor
Edit a Page
To edit a page, first log in and then access the page in one of two ways:
- From your website: Navigate to the webpage you wish to edit. On the black/gray bar at the top of the screen, click EDIT PAGE
- From the WordPress admin: Click the “Pages” option in your left menu.
From the “Pages” screen, click the linked name of the page you wish to edit.
Create a New Page (or Post)
After logging in, locate the gray/black menu bar at the top of the screen. Hover over the +New option and select either “Page” or “Post.”
Are you looking for a list to help with WordPress terminology? Visit the WordPress Glossary from WinningWP.